Looking for the Best Mattress Under $750?
All of these mattresses will ship directly to your house, with a trial period of over 100 nights. If you aren’t satisfied with your purchase all you have to do is stuff it back in the box! Just kidding, each of these companies will arrange to have a local shelter or charity pick up the mattress from your house to give someone else the opportunity to use it. No restocking fees, no worries.
To help stretch your budget even further, I offer an additional $25 off any of these mattresses.
Skip ahead to:
You aren’t going to find great quality mattresses under $750 if you walk into a mattress retailer. They have too many salaries and other major expenses like rent and utilities to pay to get you out the door at the $750 or below price range. To find a mattress of the proper quality you need to think “outside the box” or rather get one that comes shipped to your door in a box. My top pick based on the price and overall comfort is the Nectar. They offer a coupon for $125 off and two free pillows. Which makes a queen size mattress under $600. My second choice if I had a budget of $750 would be the tomorrow sleep memory foam mattress. It is listed at $795, but the code nonbiased100 will lower the price to a more budget friendly $695.
- Twin: A twin will measure 39″X 75″. Your basic set up for children and a spare bedroom with limited space
- Full: 54″ X 75″, which is a good size for teenagers as long as you don’t expect them to grow to six feet tall.
- Queen: 60″ X 80″. It fits two adults, but you had really better like each other as you will be very close.
- King: 76″ X 80″. This gives two adults more space, but has the same amount of leg room (height) as a queen.
- California King: 72″ X 84″. This will give plenty of room to two adults and allow people in the 6’6″ range the ability to sleep on a bed without dangling their feet off the end.
Our Rating Criteria
We use 10 categories to rate the mattresses we sleep test. Each category is scored 1-10. Unlike other reviewers we aren’t scared to give a mattress a low score if it is deserved. If I spend 2 weeks sleeping on a mattress that consistently gives me back pain, you will read about it on my review!
First Impressions count right? Some of the mattresses come in boxes, and some come in over sized bags. I prefer boxes as they are much easier to move around. Some boxes have cute logos and some have really fun quotes, and yes I really made a video called box vs. box vs. box in a box. Try saying it fast three times in a row. Did you get tongue tied?
On the subject of first impressions, some of the mattresses will have a bit of an odor when they are unboxed. Most people use the term off-gassing to describe it. Some of the mattresses take a few days for the smell to go away and sometimes it is barely noticeable.
When you lay on a mattress and it’s not comfortable that’s surely something that we should point out right? If I’m having trouble sleeping on a bed, I’ll tell you that. If I can’t sleep on a mattress I will scream to high heaven that you need to steer clear of a mattress if you have a similar sleep profile as I do (petite side sleeper). Remember, just because it doesn’t work for me doesn’t mean that it won’t work for you.
This is a key category to focus on when you are going through my various reviews. The more mattress that I sleep test the larger my comparison database gets. If you ask me about 2 mattresses that I have tested, I can instantly tell you which one was more comfortable to me.
I have had a ton of mattresses which fail to give me the proper support. There is nothing worse than falling into a deep depression that you have to climb out of. Sometimes you can even get multiple sinking parts and huge mountains in between, clearly not ideal for restful sleep. I test for support with:
- sitting on the edges and corners
- jumping/standing/walking on the mattress
If I fall all the way through the mattress to the ground, it won’t score very high. Conversely, if I hardly notice any sinking in the mattress it will get a high score.
Recently we added adjustable base tests to our review process. How do different mattresses stand up to the test?
Have you ever walked into a mattress retailer? Of course, you have! Did you notice that almost every mattress is now on an adjustable base? This is the wave of the future, I know that I will never sleep on a bed frame that isn’t adjustable. Sure, I’ll test different frames and foundations, but my go to sleep set will always be adjustable. It’s hard to explain, but once you try one you won’t go back. I even credit my adjustable frame with curing my husband’s snoring with just a click of the anti-snore button on my remote.
With the hundreds of new brands that have popped up over the last few years it is difficult to sort through them. I’m putting in the leg work to figure out which companies are connected to each other. In doing so I can help determine the expected longevity of each of these mattress companies. If I don’t think a mattress company is going to make it in the long term, then I won’t expect their warranty to hold up. A company my promote a forever warranty, but if it closes down in six months you surely won’t be able to get your bed replaced.
- I use Fakespot to see if companies are planting fake reviews. You will be amazed by some of the results some of these online retailers get on fakespot.
- I research other review sites to see which ones are owned by mattress companies. For example; Sleepopolis, mattress clarity and slubersearch are all connected to Casper.
- Community outreach by the company: I love companies that give back to their communities. If your company is holding an event for the community in the Phoenix area let me know and I’ll cover it.
- Customer support: If a company has poor communication or support, you will read about it here or hear about it on my video reviews.
- Warranty: the companies in our top categories all score highly in the warranty field. If we don’t think a company will be around to honor their warranty they won’t be included on our list.
When I’m standing on a bed and a wine glass doesn’t move when I walk near it, it will score high on this test. A high number is great for when you have a partner who is tossing and turning and not disturbing you. On our scale from 1-10, one is a waterbed, 10 is; wait what? There is someone in the same bed as me!
If I’m not able to sleep on a mattress, then it’s possible that you may have the same issues. This is really the most important category that a buyer should be focused on. It is nice when a bed is well constructed or made by a reputable company. However, if you can’t sleep on it, you are going to find yourself shopping for a new bed sooner than planned.
I live in Scottsdale; Arizona and I’ll tell you a little secret about the weather here… It gets hot in the summer. Having a breathable mattress is a must here. There aren’t a ton of things worse than having extra heat rising up from your mattress making your back or side sweat. I’m a huge fan of talalay latex, gel infusions, and alternative construction (like Leesa’s Avena foam).
Surely what’s inside the mattress matters right? I also pay close attention to the covers. Size matters; the Casper Essential is 8.5″ while the DreamCloud is a full 15“. Almost double the thickness of the mattress, but is it double the price as well (no)?
You really have to look at the prices of the mattress vs. the competition. Not just the direct to consumer, bed in a box model, but the in-store values as well. The bed in a box model offers consumers huge cost savings vs. buying from the store. This is because the middle man is cut out and the companies don’t have to pay electricity and rent.
We give each category a score from 1-10 with 10 being the highest. I am using a 10 point must system. The mattress that preformed the best in a category gets a 10 and all other mattresses are judged against that standard.
Mattress Firmness Scale
We also assess the overall firmness of a mattress from 1-10 with 10 being almost rock hard firm. Since different people have different preferences on the firm level that works best for them, that number doesn’t go into the total ratings. Here is our Firmness scale as of 10/4/17
Recently, we noticed that just about every mattress you see in the store is staged on an adjustable frame. These giant retailers must be on to something right? So, we decided that every mattress we test should also go through a few cycles of adjustments with our adjustable bed. Currently we are using a Rize Verge. We assume that other adjustable frames will have many of the same characteristics. What we have found is that some mattresses don’t fare well on an adjustable frame, while others take a step up to a new level.
If you haven’t been on an adjustable frame you are really missing out, so we feel that it is crucial to our review process to add this wrinkle. We understand that everyone doesn’t have an adjustable bed, but if you are considering one with your next mattress purchase we feel you should be prepared. If a mattress is too thick or sturdy, it likely won’t perform well on an adjustable base. If it has interlocked coils, forget about it.
Why Buy a Mattress Online?
- It will ship directly to you, most of the time for free
- Do you really enjoy having a mattress salesman follow you around and check you out as you try out all of the mattresses? The answer is NO
- Wouldn’t you rather take some time to test a mattress rather than just be lead around by the salesman to the highest commission bed he sells? Most online retailers offer a trial period of 100 days or more to test out your new mattress.
- Same quality mattress for a fraction of the cost.
- You have more time to comparison shop from your home.
Thinking about buying the items we have reviewed? Help Non-Biased Reviews out if you do. Just click on any of the seller links above and the seller will contribute a portion of the sale to help support this site. It won’t cost you anything extra and is a simple way to help us fund more items to review. Thank You